Camp Beale Loop is a 3.2 mile hiking/cycling trail that is part of the Cerbat Hills Recreation Area trail system.
Pool at Beale Springs ca 1910
The Spring at Camp Beale (water reservoir pictured here ca 1910) provided water for early Kingman and the water for stream driven electric power at the Kingman Powerhouse. Historical image courtesy of the Mohave Museum of History & Arts.
Camp Beale 1871-74
Camp Beale was an army camp, then an Indian Reservation for a short period. A spring at the site supplied water for early Kingman. Today, a walking path leads from the spring through the camp are where some foundations can still be seen. Free permit to visit the historic site can be picked up at the Kingman Visitor Center.
Beale Springs was used by the Hualapai nation for centuries before Lt. Edward Beale traveled through the area in the 1850s. He established a wagon road along the 35th parallel. In 1865, Beale Springs became a stop on a toll road from Prescott to Hardyville - now, modern day Bullhead City.
During the Hualapai War of 1866-1870, the site served as a temporary Army outpost. Following the war, the “official” Camp Beale Springs was established in 1871 by Company F, 12th U. S. Infantry out of Fort Whipple in Prescott. Initially, the camp provided continued protection along the Fort Mojave and Prescott Toll Road and acted as an internment camp for Hualapai Indians.
The camp remained active until April 21, 1874, when the Hualapai people were forced out of the internment camp located at Camp Beale Springs. From there, they were forced at gunpoint to march the La Paz Trail of Tears. Thousands of Hualapai people were brutally abused and died. On April 21, 2006, this historical marker was placed in their honor. As we enjoy the many beautiful hiking trails of the Mojave Desert, it is important to remember the significant history of this area.
After 1874, the Spring again became a campsite/way station on the toll road. The site remained active well into the twentieth century.
Activities in and around the Spring have included ranching/farming, a way station hotel, ore milling, mining and a water works.
The Beale Springs site became a water source for the rapidly developing City of Kingman. A water reservoir was built there and is still partially standing today. In addition to serving its intended purpose, the reservoir sometimes doubled as a swimming pool.
After the Beale Springs site was no longer inhabited, local people held picnics there and enjoyed the water and shade provided by fruit trees that had been planted many years before. Today, you can still enjoy a picnic here in the quiet atmosphere or go hiking.