Mohave Museum of History & Arts wall mural
The walls of the Mohave Museum of History & Arts have murals on three sides.
Founded in August 1961 by the Daughters of the Pioneers and operated by the Mohave Pioneers Historical Society, the Mohave Museum of History & Arts was originaly an archive room in the office of the Chamber of Commerce. In 1967, the first building was erected (dedicated in 1968) in the Chamber’s parking lot.
Renowned Southwestern artist Roy Purcell was the first director in the new building and he developed many of the displays still in use today, including the Hualapai Indian room and the Mohave History room. Roy Purcell is the same artist who painted the ‘Journey’ rock murals in Chloride, AZ.
The Museum expanded in 1979 with additional exhibit space. By 2000 the Chamber offices were relocated and their building was removed to make room for Museum parking. Now history buffs can dig into the museum’s library which was built and opened in 2005.
The Museum introduces visitors to the history of Northwestern Arizona. Dioramas & murals illustrate prehistoric times, mining (exhibit added in 2008), ranching (exhibit added in 2010) and history with a local flare. It also includes an Andy Devine exhibit, a local boy turned movie star in the 1930’s known for his funny voice. Outdoor exhibits include murals, mining machinery and a 1923 wooden railroad caboose.